Friday 4 December 2009

Discovery does not equate to ownership

Intellectual Property rests on the right, or ability to interrupt someone from copying or issuing material which contains particular information. It is concerned with the medium containing the information as much as it is about the information itself. To what extent do we have right, or ability to stop plagiarism? Clearly if the (type of) knowledge is easily communicable, such as a scientific discovery, that is more difficult to retain. Information that is less difficult to transfer, such as the skill of a craftsman or surgeon is restrained to the locality of the practitioner.

There is also the question of whether something can be considered the property of the one who invented it. For example, if I am the first to discover that tickling my toes makes me laugh, do I have the right to punish others for doing so without payment to me? And surely all information is a discovery of some kind?

No comments:

Post a Comment